Neal

Default Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1

Greg G. wrote in message ...
Ken Yee thus spake:

Dum question, but why not the Dewalt 618B3 (the triple base
kit)?
Or just get a Bosch 1617 for handheld use and Hitachi M12 for the
the router table?

Dumb answer... Lots-o-money? g

Thanks for the detailed review of the PC895...most reviews
on this I've seen were pretty positive...

I'm still trying to get over why they bothered to put an auto-collet
lock on this thing when it doesn't even work! On the fixed base, the
rack hits the base and binds before it engages. On the plunge base,
it bottoms out before it ever gets to the tang. Go figure? Does no
one even try these things out? I was not impressed, and it is not up
to PC's standards.

In the included video, the Router Workshop guys used wrenches to
remove the bits, claiming that it was easier for them.
I bet it IS easier - 'cause it DOESN'T WORK!

Greg G.

Greg,

I looked at my router again today and I think you are correct on more of your
evaluation than I thought. Yes, the bushing on the non locking plunge rod is
plastic. I am concerned about this for long term reliability. I do not have a
clue as to why they used plastic instead of a quality bushing. I removed the
springs and you are correct about the excessive movement which seems to be
caused by the plastic bushing. Somehow it does accurately plunge but the design
is not typical Porter Cable and I can see future problems.

My auto collet lock works fine on the fixed base but I don't understand why it
was designed to not work if the switch is in the on position. Why have
everything adjustable from the top of the table and then have to reach under the
table to turn the router off to change a bit? The fixed base was designed with
table use in mind so this makes no sense. You are right about it bottoming out
before getting to the tang on the plunge base.

I have just tried to call Porter Cable and they are closed. They finally gave
me the home office support number after routing me through several other tech
people who apparently never even seen the new router. One even asked where I
got it. This makes me a bit nervous and I am now thinking about returning mine
too. One time I bought a new car when it was first introduced and really
regretted it soon after. This sounds very similar.

Here's Porter Cables tech number if you would like to call too. 800-321-9443

Neal