Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default (Part 2) Tests for PbF / SnPb solder

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Just checked a day later and the SnPb boiled in vinegar for 20 seconds
plus
potassium iodide shows a slight yellow colour compared to the PbF sample.
What other non-license source of a strong acid other than car battery
acid?
drain cleaner is clobbered by elfin safety these days.

Conc Sulphuric Acid (95%+) and Conc Hydrochloric Acid (35%) are available
from many sources (such as Robert Dyas). The H2SO4 is used for unblocking
drains. But even though boiling H2SO4 attacks lead, it forms the insoluble
sulphate which inhibits further action (and being insoluble, it is difficult
to test it for lead). Boiling HCl attacks lead, and forms the soluble
chloride, which would be ideal to test for lead. But I wonder how long it
would be before Elf'n'safety appeared when your neighbours start choking?...

I doubt the purity of either acid would help ascertain the Pb content of
solder. They may contain lead as an impurity anyway.

--

Jeff