Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default Compost

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 17:49:32 +0100
"Rick Hughes" wrote:

OK .. try to do the right things have a large purpose bought compost
container ... put all the right mix of stuff it it, lid kept on.
Occasional addition of Garotta,
Good mix of peelings, trimmings, coffee grounds, some grass cuttings,
leaves, splash of urine etc.

No cooked food scraps or meats.

Output is always disappointing ... seems to be lots of non rotted material
even after 3 or 4 years.
I do turn it fully annually.
For example the eggs shells & tea bags don't seem to rot, and when I put
any of the compost on the garden SWMBO complain it looks like fly tipping
has taken place.

Thought I had today was, could I shovel the output into my shredder to
really mix & break it all up before I use it in the ground ?
Not sure how the shredder would take it ... I'm guessing it should chop &
mix OK ....

Then form this into a separate stage 2 composting pile ... and restart
another new pile.

If it's going to work it needs to get:
1) Hot. This is the first stage of composting, and needs lots of
oxygen.
2) Airless. This is the second stage and why proper bins don't have
holes in the sides.
3) Wormy. This is the all important third stage, and why if you compost
on a concrete base you need to introduce worms. Ideally they start at
the bottom and eat their way up, so you take the finished 'product'
from the bottom. If you introduce them at the top, and are also adding
more fresh, you will cook the worms - this is not good.

I'd shred the fresh stuff. If you shred the semi-rotted, it will:
a) contain stones (yes, it will) and wreck your shredder blades.
b) stick to everything and not exit the shredder properly.
c) drive you mad cleaning the shredder every two minutes.
I speak from experience on these three points.

R.