Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Compost

NT wrote:
On Apr 6, 5:49 pm, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

OK .. try to do the right things have a large purpose bought compost
container ... put all the right mix of stuff it it, lid kept on.
Occasional addition of Garotta,
Good mix of peelings, trimmings, coffee grounds, some grass cuttings,
leaves, splash of urine etc.

No cooked food scraps or meats.

Output is always disappointing ... seems to be lots of non rotted material
even after 3 or 4 years.
I do turn it fully annually.
For example the eggs shells & tea bags don't seem to rot, and when I put
any of the compost on the garden SWMBO complain it looks like fly tipping
has taken place.

Thought I had today was, could I shovel the output into my shredder to
really mix & break it all up before I use it in the ground ?
Not sure how the shredder would take it ... I'm guessing it should chop &
mix OK ....

Then form this into a separate stage 2 composting pile ... and restart
another new pile.

Another option is to bung it in a hole in the ground. When full, cover
it over and robert's your relative.

NT

I dug a trough last Autumn and filled it with alternate layers of soil
and veg peelings etc over the winter. Turned it over today and virtually
everything has broken down. Interesting that the soil level is now
virtually the same as when I started.