Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Am I a fool to buy this mill/drill?

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:57:07 -0500, RBnDFW
wrote:
snip
While I am very pleased with the 3" LMS vise, I am looking at buying a
smaller screwless vise for small work

snip
A smaller vise can be handy, especially if you can clamp the
smaller vise in the larger vise as this will allow you to
cut/drill compound angle holes at some cost saving over a
compound angle vise. Note that you can do the same thing with a
slotted right angle block with some loss in tool/table clearance
but some additional cost savings.

You will of course need some way to set/check the angles. While
somewhat expensive I find one of the small 3inch/75mm magnetic
sine bars to be very useful. Also get a space block set or use
feeler gages to set.

It all depends on the size/kind of the parts you will be making.
[inch] examples of
magnetic sine bar
http://www.hhip.com/products/product...ctID=3800-5410

that is cute as hell, but $160??

space block set [same as jo blocks for home shop use at 10% of
the price]
http://www.hhip.com/products/product...ctID=3101-0003
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

that Enco set for $29.95 looks like a great deal. thanks!

right angle plate
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=418-4325

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).