Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NTSC versus PAL

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I understand that prior to the expiry of the Telefunken PAL patent,
Sony Trinitron sets for the PAL market actually threw away the
chrominance signal on alternate scan lines, thus landing themselves
back in NTSC territory. Those sets had a tint control, and I know from
personal experience that they produced a perfectly satisfactory result
(I only learnt the other day why they had a tint control).

Depends on what you mean by "satisfactory". Passable, maybe.

When you discuss something at length, you become aware of those things
you thought you understood, but didn't. (Well, I do, anyway.)

I'd always read that one could construct a PAL receiver in such a way
that eliminated the need for a manual hue control. I never questioned
this, but now it makes little sense.

I've never seen a set designed for the PAL market with a hue control. Only
ones modified from a basically NTSC design.

There are two reasons for having a manual hue control:

The user can adjust the color rendition to their personal (and
usually incorrect) taste. *
The user can correct for incorrect burst phase.

That seems to be "it". As we've seen, these errors can be corrected by
adjusting the hue control, whereas the other error -- differential phase
shift -- cannot be so-corrected, because the timing errors are not
linear.

You simply don't get hue errors on PAL sets - unless the grey scale is set
incorrectly. Of course some sets also used the incorrect phosphors to
provide a brighter picture - but a hue control couldn't compensate for
that.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.