Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to build a home CO2 carbonation system (the nozzle part)

Elmo wrote:
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 13:21:31 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

aggitation is a great way to trigger a rupture,
but will help disolved the gas.

The agitation works. My orange juice is now fully carbonated.

As for the explosion ... in all the home carbonation articles I could find
on the net (see below), not one discusses a rupture actually occuring.
http://www.truetex.com/carbonation.htm
http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/2010/...e-carbonation/
http://foo.net/~jmgray/carbonation/
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001818.php
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...ays-For-Itsel/
http://mendax.org/2008/05/02/carbonating-water-at-home/
http://www.inventionsthatwork.com/carbonator.htm
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...e7cf7f24d463e5

I'm not brave enough to go over 150psi for a soda bottle, so, I'll have to
leave it to others to say exactly what overpressure causes an explosion ...
but I'd say, based on my one experience and my search, that explosion
rarely (if ever) occurs at the pressures needed for home carbonation.

I agree that your upside-down suggestion is better from the standpoint of
C02 contact with the liquid (no need to shake) ... but it's just so much
harder to accomplish that the right-side up with agitation method seems
safe for most of us.

Perhaps a stupid question, but have you tried simply mixing frozen
concentrate with fizzy water? Or for that matter, just mixing the jug
juice half-and-half with fizzy water? I'd bet in a blind taste test,
your mouth could not tell the difference after the first sip, between
that and your injected fizzy.

I know, it's an engineer thing- I wouldn't understand. Anybody remember
how they did 'needle beer' during prohibition?

--
aem sends...