Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Sherwood RX-4105/4109 and Insignia NS-R2000 stereo receiver take apart/teardown/exploration

Hi!

I've seen several models that have a similar look inside. Denon uses the
same chinese vendor and has for years.

Sherwood claims on their web site that they manufacture a large quantity of
stereo receivers for other people. I don't know that it's true, but I have
no reason to believe they'd lie about it. Therefore my guess is that they
control the factory where these things are put together.

I've seen it on lower end Pioneers - not their high-end mind you.

I wonder if that's changed in recent times. I don't work on a lot of audio
equipment, but I did go and look at some of the owner's manuals from
Pioneer's site--even some of their ELITE receivers show a strong similarity
to the Sherwood designs.

They are mostly OK to service if you have the service literature;

frequently they
will have a "special" bias transistor, like a 2SC3964 or a 2SD947.

I'm trying to get the service literature, either through a download or for
purchase. I'd like to have it, if for no other reason than to say that I do.

William