Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.chemistry

Default How to build a home CO2 carbonation system (the nozzle part)

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 13:33:46 +0000 (UTC), Elmo
wrote:

It worked when I removed the stem of the tire valve (pictures here):
http://yfrog.com/13updatehomeco2carbonatiojx

Ok, that's fine. Now, clean up the rest of the mess. The natural
rubber hose is not suitable for dealing with freezing liquids. Put a
piece in the fridge and watch it get stiff and brittle. I suggest you
use clear vinyl or PVC "food grade" hoses, and nylon fittings.

My problem was there is no measurable laminar gas "flow" in either system
(1) tire valve with stem, or (2) tire valve w/o stem.

But, without the stem, the c02 molecules continue to "infuse" into the
liquid until there are 4 liters of c02 in the 1 liter of liquid.

You can measure the amount of dissolved CO2 with a pH meter or pH
testing paper:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid
See chart on acidity.

So, I think the word "infuse" would have been better than "flow".

Why so complexicated? Infusion is more like a slow leak into the
liquid. What you're really complaining about it is that it takes some
time for the gas to dissolve in the liquid. It doesn't happen
instantly. Patience. You can speed things up by increasing the
surface area of the gas bubbles, using smaller bubbles or a manifold
like contraption with more holes. Even so, it does take a while for
the gas to dissolve.

Now I have really good tasting seltzer water, grape juice soda, orange
juice soda, etc.

Light reading:
http://www.ehow.com/carbonated-water/

Have fun... (burp, belch, hiccup).