Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.chemistry
Elmo[_6_] Elmo[_6_] is offline

Default How to build a home CO2 carbonation system (the nozzle part)

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 21:22:39 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I built a carbonator once and made several huge mistakes, some of
which I see in the article.
The carbonation bottle, as shown, is upside down.

Hi Jeff,
I solved the problem after reading your response!

I thank you for taking your time to help others. I like the upside-down
idea and I understand your points about the internal pressure and the need
to bleed it off separately - but I wanted to make the right-side-up idea
work first.

The original article said, I had to bubble 4 volumes of carbon dioxide into
the bottle so I had to figure out how to bubble 4 liters of co2 into a 1
liter bottle.

It worked when I removed the stem of the tire valve (pictures here):
http://yfrog.com/13updatehomeco2carbonatiojx

My problem was there is no measurable laminar gas "flow" in either system
(1) tire valve with stem, or (2) tire valve w/o stem.

But, without the stem, the c02 molecules continue to "infuse" into the
liquid until there are 4 liters of c02 in the 1 liter of liquid.

So, I think the word "infuse" would have been better than "flow".

Now I have really good tasting seltzer water, grape juice soda, orange
juice soda, etc.

Thanks all!