Dave Balderstone

Default Looking for opinions on mid-size woodturning tools

In article , WCD
wrote:

I bought a Jet Midi wood lathe for my son for the holiday. Nice looking
tool and something he's been asking about for a while.

I want to buy a starter set of tools for him, but I'm not sure where to
begin. I see a few companies offer "midi" size tools that are smaller
than full size tools. Is this a big advantage? They are obviously less
expensive, but is that the only advantage?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Smaller tools are more difficult to control and may put a beginner at
more risk of injury. I have some smaller ones for spindle work (from
Lee Valley -
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...y=1,330,43164&
ccurrency=1&SID=) but for roughing and bowl work I have full size
tools.

You don't need to buy a huge set to get him started. A skew (not an
oval skew if he's new to turning), couple of gouges (3/8 and 1/2 inch),
a parting tool, and maybe a scraper would be my recommendation.

Don't forget to include some wood!

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.