Mike G

Default Choosing a router?

Based on the three I've owned and my experience my ideal all round router
would have the following attributes.

Note - This is for an all round router. IE one that will do general router
chores very well and will still be able to handle things like raised panels
or detail work but not on a steady diet.

The router would have a motor or over 1 3/4 horse but less then 3 horse
power. It would have a large opening in the base (that's the metal base not
the plastic sub base. My Bosch 1613 VS taught me that one), it would be a
plunge router, have variable speed, have soft start, have both 1/2" and 1/4"
collets, and, accept the de facto standard Porter Cable after market
accessories.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"Guy LaRochelle" wrote in message
I have an old 1.5 hp Crapsman router that I use. But now I want to

upgrade.
I'd like to have a 2 hp fixed base that takes 1/2" shanks but then I'd

also
like to have a plunge router. I'd also like to have 3+hp router for a

router
table. I can't afford to buy them all. Could a person buy a 3 hp plunge

like
a Dewalt or Bosch and use it for everything? What is the drawback of a
plunge in a router table? Is there a router that is a good all around?
Regards. -Guy