Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Cosmetic remedy to frost damage

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 12:57:53 +0100, "john hamilton"
wrote:

These paved front driveway tiles came with the house when I bought it. Some
of the tiles are cracking and some spliting due to frost damage, (in London,
U.K.).

See photo on Tinypic website:

http://tinypic.com/r/ae1y6b/5

Underneath the tiles is very solid and sound and I have no reason to disturb
it. I would like to do something to improve the appearence, preferably
without incurring any big expense or digging up these glazed tiles.

Laying a coating of cement on top would be difficult for me and I think
would not look so good. I'm looking for a fairly easy method within the
capabilities of a layman if possible. Thanks for any suggestions.

IMO, the best part of 'pavers' as we call them on this side of the
pond is that anyone can replace them- and you can replace the broken
ones without making a huge deal of it.

The hardest part might be finding matching tiles-- If I had troubles
I'd just go with a complimentary color. Dig out the old ones- throw
in some fines & pound into place with a 4-5lb rubber mallet until
flush. Grout & pop a brew.

OTOH- I don't know what that material is between your tiles. Looks
like some sore of grout or blacktop.

Jim
[I never noticed the ads on the tinypic site before. I just might
order a hat or mug with that image.g]