Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House wiring problem

On 4/3/2010 5:13 PM spake thus:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 02:35:22 -0600, bud--
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd suggest to buy a three bulb tester at the store, and see
what that reads. Something sounds strange, with that set of
readings.

The 3 lite tester uses a lot higher current than a digital meter so
it shouldn't show phantom voltage.

But it has its own problems. In particular, it can't test for sure
there is a good ground. As with a digital meter, you should know
the limitations of test equipment.

How can it not indicate there is a good ground? - or by good do
you mean a low resistance ground?If the ground is not connected, the
3 lite will show you.
But you are right - it cannot tell you if the ground is up to the
required standard.

The tester would expect ground to be at or about at the same potential
as neutral. That's as far as it can go, and as you point out, it can't
really determine the "goodness" of the ground, only whether it's present
and close to the neutral potential.

- a Usenet "apology"