Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT - Hyperinflation as a goal?

wrote in message
On Apr 2, 7:15 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Oh, come on, Dan. We aren't talking about 15 students versus 30. We're
talking about *one on one* versus mass classes.

Ed Huntress

I do not think it makes any difference.

I do. Wanna' fight? g

The reason home schooling
gets such good results is not so much the one on one teaching. It is
because the average home schooled student comes from a family of above
average education who place a high value on getting a good education.

That's correct. Once you norm for educational achievement level of the
parents, all apparent advantages disappear.

In other words, it's not the home schooling, it's a matter of choosing your
parents wisely.

Meantime, based on the data, it takes 22 times as many teachers to teach a
given group of home-schooled students as to teach a given group of
publically educated students. That's pretty ****-poor productivity.

So the kids would do better than average even if they were in public
schools.

Right.

Also the kids are motivated to do well because they are
doing it for their parents.

Pure speculation on your part.

If you research the ERIC database, or the journals, you'll find hundreds of
studies and academic articles about homeschooling. Look in there. You might
find something that's studied it.

They would not be as motivated to work as
hard for a teacher, even if it was a one on one situation.

See above.

Dan

--
Ed Huntress