Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Rain Flow gutter filters?

"mm" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 09:35:21 -0400, willshak
wrote:

mm wrote the following:

I don't understand the filter part. The little particles never clog
the gutter, do they? It's the leaves. Doesn't filtering out the
little particles just leave one with a clogged piece of filter so the
water can't get to the gutter?

My thoughts exactly. I think they would work better without the filter.
It's the big stuff that clogs gutters, the small stuff that gets into
the gutters can be flushed with the rain easier than the big stuff.
Every type of gutter covers have their own problems, whether it is the
covers that do not allow debris in the gutters, but pile it up on top
of, or in back of, the covers so that the gutters don't work at all , or
heavy rains that just roll over the gutter cover and onto the ground.
And those screen type inserts that go into the drop outlet hole are the
worst of all. They block the large debris from going down the downspout
and just pile it up like a dam, preventing even the small stuff from
getting to the downspout..
The best way to keep the gutters clean is to cut down all trees taller
than the gutters for about 100' feet from the house :-).

Strangely, I have trees 10, 20, maybe 30 feet higher than my house on
two sides, and close to the house IMO, and yet there are never leaves
in my gutters. I thought when they dried out in the fall they could
be carried pretty far by floating on a breeze.

Man you're lucky. We have huge live oaks that shed their leaves around March
that will clog up the gutters every year. I first tried just putting screen
near the down spout but that only helped a little. I'm not sure I completely
understand wilshak's question but, I think it has to do with the gutter
angle. If they are like mine the water won't flow fast enough to carry the
small particles out so they accumulate like river sand. I really need a
whole new gutter system but this is going to have to do.

On another subject: One poster said something about only needing a place for
the water to run off. In heavy rain areas you need both but, in my case I
also have a pool in he back and we don't want the water running off the roof
and into the pool, also.

Jim