Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Frnak McKenney Frnak McKenney is offline

Default OT - Hyperinflation as a goal?

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:52:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:15*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Oh, come on, Dan. We aren't talking about 15 students versus 30. We're
talking about *one on one* versus mass classes.

Ed Huntress

I do not think it makes any difference. The reason home schooling
gets such good results is not so much the one on one teaching. It is
because the average home schooled student comes from a family of above
average education who place a high value on getting a good education.
So the kids would do better than average even if they were in public
schools. Also the kids are motivated to do well because they are
doing it for their parents. They would not be as motivated to work as
hard for a teacher, even if it was a one on one situation.

Dan

Dan,

If you're curious as to why coming from a family with an above-average
education gives a kid a "leg up", the best explanation I've read so
far is described in E.D. Hirsch's writings; "The Knowledge Deficit"
is a good introduction.

Frank McKenney
--
Reading achievement will nor advance significantly until schools
recognize and act on the fact that it depends on the possession of