Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Actual Metalworking

RogerN wrote:

There seems to be a lot of difference in the internal resistance of the
batteries too. For example, it would be interesting to measure the voltage
at the glow head using a Sub C Nicad versus a C cell carbon zinc, I doubt
there would be a 40% difference, the Nicad might even deliver more voltage
to the glow head. However using a 1.5V lantern battery sized carbon zinc
cell would get the voltage up there. For glow plugs I use either 1.2V
rechargeable or my power panel glow driver, I guess the power panel would be
better for Cox engines but I haven't used them enough in R/C to notice a
difference.

The resistance of both types go up with age. Some people use an ESR
meter to measure the internal reistance of each cell.