Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default What Oscilloscope specs for audio work, diagnosis and repair?

K Fodder wrote in
:

Hi can someone please help me with what scope I should get for
Audio equipment repair? I need to have flexibility so I wont
have to buy another for a while. A benchtop model is fine.

I want something specifically to cover tube/valve amps.
I need to be able to check the performance of amp and see if
my input signal is distorting, deteriorating, has interference
or other types of problems that plague audio.

What the max MHZ range would I need to aim for?
What other features would it need or be handy?
Do you know a specific brand and model?
Do you think I need any other equipment?
Whats a good brand/model function generator?

Lastly I have read suggestions that I should get an older analog
scope for this work. And then read the digital ones "can" do the job.
It is a bit of conflicting information what do you think?

What would be best for audio and offer the most flexibility?
Or has there been a scope that covers both digital and analog well?

Detailed answers are fine. Learning...

A nice,simple,inexpensive used TEK scope would be the T922/T932/T935 or 442
scopes;15MHz or 35Mhz. They don't use any custom ICs,have simple
attenuators,have a decent size CRT graticule,and aren't too old.
Negatives are the plastic case that allows chassis flex,easy to break knobs
that are no longer available.

I'd avoid the T912 storage scope.

series (60 Mhz to 100 Mhz),but those do use a few TEK-made ICs that are out
of production.
But they have good reliability. I have a 2213.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik