Posted to alt.electronics,alt.engineering.electrical
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default 15 AMP adaptor

Sicilian Dragon
wibbled on Saturday 03 April 2010 13:55

I found a 15 AMP adaptor that converts 220 V AC from mains into 12
DC current at a shop. My question is will this adaptor be able to charge a
140 AH 12 V battery? The shopkeeper doesn't know anything about it. I'm
not concerned about over charging or anything like that just will it
charge it? My understanding is that the voltage from a charger should be
slightly higher than 12 V if it is to be able to charge a battery of 12
V??

Lead acid car/truck battery?

If so, those are typically charged to around 14.5V give or take, so you need
a little higher open circuit voltage to succeed.

How powerful is the "adaptor" (eg wattage, VA or output current rating)?

--
Tim Watts