Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default De Solder SM electrolytic caps

Tim Schwartz wrote in
:

On 4/1/2010 6:10 PM, RubbishRat wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone have any good tips for desoldreing these SM caps without
damaging the pads?
I tried wicking each pad dry but the darned thing still took one of
the flimsy little pads off with it. Also would it be OK to replace a
SM cap with a similar value radial if I support the radial with a
blob of silicon sealer or something after soldering ?
Any help welcomed.

Well,

Here is an odd possibility. One brand of stereo I service has a
mod
that require removing 16 SM caps from a PC board. (That's the entire
mod). In speaking with a friend who also services these, he suggested
grabbing the cap with a pair of needle nose pliers and rotating the
cap until the leads snap. This usually requires about 90 degrees of
rotation. Then it's easy to clean up the pads. The caps are 10uf/16V
and have a black plastic base.

I'D SUGGEST TRYING THIS NO A SCRAP BOARD FIRST, as some boards
may not
have the foil attached as well as these.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

SM caps don't have "leads". SM = surface mount.
Just get or make the right tool for the job.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik