Andy Hall

Default Central Heating boiler safety cut out

On 22 Oct 2003 06:15:38 -0700, (Danny)
wrote:

I noticed that when I removed the gate valve, the pipe was completely
full of sludge - I would have thought the Fornox sludge remover would
have fixed this! Anyway I've clean the pipe as best as I could then
ran the pump on full. My system now gets to 65 degrees, a 15 degree
improvement!!!

Thanks for the advice!

If the system is as sludged as this, then a chemical sludge remover
won't make too much impact. There is, however, likely to be a
fairly low flow rate through the bypass, so it can be a collection
point for grot.

When you have some more time, you might want to try a more thorough
clean of the system by flushing the radiators separately - I've posted
on how to do this recently. If you can get rid of most of the sludge
mechanically - i.e. by flushing through with a hose, and then treat
the system with chemical sludge remover, you will get much better
results

Also, if you have gate valves, apart from the bypass which is best
with an automatic valve, it is worth replacing them with lever ball
valves. These shut off properly and easily and are much less
likely to seep.
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl