Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_9_] Steve B[_9_] is offline

Default fix a shovel

" wrote in
message
I have two shovels. One with a broken handle and another one with a
badly bent spade. I was thinking I could just remove the wood left in
the one and use the handle of the other one on it. The question I
have is what do they use to attach the spade part of the shovel to the
handle. Is it a rivet? Would I just shear off the heads on both sides
to remove the remains of the handle? Then what is the best way to
attach the other handle to it? I already bought another one, but with
the parts I have sitting around it seems like I could easily have
another one. A man can't have enough shovels after all. Oh and btw
the one with the badly bent spade has an unbreakable handle and I
tried to break it but the spade bent instead.

I have always found this to be a dilemma, finding that most times the point
of attachment is the crummiest piece of workmanship on the whole piece.
Now, here's what I (sorry, but I can't bolden or italicize or underline I)
would do. I would (and have) bolt the shovel back on, using a small bolt.
Then weld the head of the bolt on BOTH sides. It works great, and never
comes out.

Some of those things, though, like rakes have a hollowed out handle, a
tongue of metal from the rake that goes in there, and then a cone that is
supposed to keep it all in place. What's up with that idea? I don't know a
lot about it, but think I could come up with something better than that.

Steve