Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default OT - Hyperinflation as a goal?

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 2, 7:15 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

You can't design an education system, any more than a business
organization,
on the premise that you'll hire Superman.

--
Ed Huntress

You can design a business organization on the promise that you will
hire only people that are way above average. The funny thing is that
it does not cost that much more in salaries. Hewlett Packard did
that back in the '60's. And because their employees were above
average, they attracted above average applicants. Makes a hell of a
difference in the work environment. Google, Microsoft, and Cisco do
that now.

I suspect that the same thing applies to education systems too. The
Ivy league colleges hire the best and brightest. Seems to work out
for them. Because they have the best professors, they get the
brightest students. And because they get the brightest students,
they have the brightest alumnae. Who contribute to the colleges, so
the colleges have the biggest endowments and hire the best and
brightest.

Yeah, well, it's nice and good to say we should hire better teachers.
My wife is a teacher. I can assure you that, unless you get an unusual
individual who is just devoted to the idea of teaching, there is
little about our educational system that is going to attract the
"best and the brightest."

We slander teachers all the time; relative to comparably difficult
jobs in business and industry, they're paid pretty sadly (my wife
made a little more than half of what I made as an editor, when I was
full-time, and her job was harder). My wife is dedicated and teaches
special ed. Sometimes I wonder why.

Unlike Princeton and Harvard grads, they have no hope of getting a
trading job on Wall Street and making 8-figure bonuses.

Just have one of her students write a trading program Ed.
Nobody understands that stuff anyway.
LOL

--
John R. Carroll