Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maybe another try at getting home thermostat

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 07:55:46 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Brent Bolin wrote:
On Apr 1, 4:45 pm, Tony wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:
Just before winter hit my old Maple Chase thermostat died.

So I thought I'd go out and buy a big brand name... Honeywell

Purchased 5-1-1 Day Programmable Thermostat - RTH6400D

To my surprise this thermostat didn't have an option to set the
temperature difference to startup. The old Maple Chase I think had a
difference variance to 1 to 3 degrees.

So now using the new thermostat I believe the furnace cycles to
often. Keeps the house at a more stable temperature level, at the
expense of the furnace kicking on and off.

I've looked around and found White-Rodgers/Emerson 1F97-0671 7 Day
5/1/1 Day Non-Programmable

This thermostat looks like it only has a variance of -

Heat (SS1, MS2) 0.4°F 0.6°F 1.7°F
Cool (SS1, MS2) 0.9°F 1.2°F 1.7°F

Any body have any suggestions.

Hmmm,
You want +/- 3 deg. swing? Isn't that too much? If furnace cycles
on/off too frequently you may have to beef up your house insulation.
Our Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 thermostat and furnace, a/c system
cycles no more than 3 times an hour even in dead coldest winter days.
Same with a/c. Or your furnace may be over sized(bad thing)

Not sure if I would use +/- 3 setting, but maybe +/- 2

I did blow in about 6-8 inches of Owens Corning AtticCat in the attic
this spring. Can't do much about the walls without a big effort.

Just seems to me the furnace kicks on and off more then it should.

Hi,
Energy audit is worthwhile expenditure. If you upgrade the rebate will
pay for it.

If you are in Ontario, that program was just cancelled yesterday.