Posted to alt.home.repair
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Maybe another try at getting home thermostat

On Apr 1, 4:23*pm, Brent Bolin wrote:
Just before winter hit my old Maple Chase thermostat died.

So I thought I'd go out and buy a big brand name... Honeywell

Purchased *5-1-1 Day Programmable Thermostat - RTH6400D

To my surprise this thermostat didn't have an option to set the
temperature difference to startup. *The old Maple Chase I think had a
difference variance to 1 to 3 degrees.

So now using the new thermostat I believe the furnace cycles to
often. *Keeps the house at a more stable temperature level, at the
expense of the furnace kicking on and off.

I've looked around and found White-Rodgers/Emerson 1F97-0671 7 Day
5/1/1 Day Non-Programmable

This thermostat looks like it only has a variance of -

Heat (SS1, MS2) 0.4°F 0.6°F 1.7°F
Cool (SS1, MS2) 0.9°F 1.2°F 1.7°F

Any body have any suggestions.

We installed a White-Rogers 1F85-277 in a new home about 1-1/2 years
ago. Easy to program and no complaints. However, this particular
model runs a two-stage system so it might not be suitable for your
use. I believe the variance is limited to 1 or 2 degrees and it was
set for 1. We are pretty well insulated so we don't notice frequent
cycles unless the temperature is extreme.

This thermostat has a nice setback feature. We program so the
temperature can drop to 60 at night, during the winter (it never
does). However, it senses temperature as the programmed startup time
approaches and adjusts the startup time a little earlier to compensate
for the variance.

RonB