Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Maybe another try at getting home thermostat

Brent Bolin wrote:
On Apr 1, 4:45 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:
Just before winter hit my old Maple Chase thermostat died.

So I thought I'd go out and buy a big brand name... Honeywell

Purchased 5-1-1 Day Programmable Thermostat - RTH6400D

To my surprise this thermostat didn't have an option to set the
temperature difference to startup. The old Maple Chase I think had a
difference variance to 1 to 3 degrees.

So now using the new thermostat I believe the furnace cycles to
often. Keeps the house at a more stable temperature level, at the
expense of the furnace kicking on and off.

I've looked around and found White-Rodgers/Emerson 1F97-0671 7 Day
5/1/1 Day Non-Programmable

This thermostat looks like it only has a variance of -

Heat (SS1, MS2) 0.4°F 0.6°F 1.7°F
Cool (SS1, MS2) 0.9°F 1.2°F 1.7°F

Any body have any suggestions.

Hmmm,
You want +/- 3 deg. swing? Isn't that too much? If furnace cycles
on/off too frequently you may have to beef up your house insulation.
Our Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 thermostat and furnace, a/c system
cycles no more than 3 times an hour even in dead coldest winter days.
Same with a/c. Or your furnace may be over sized(bad thing)

Not sure if I would use +/- 3 setting, but maybe +/- 2

I did blow in about 6-8 inches of Owens Corning AtticCat in the attic
this spring. Can't do much about the walls without a big effort.

Just seems to me the furnace kicks on and off more then it should.

It could be that your thermostat is too close to a heat register. Closing that
register might help.