Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Jointer Help

On 04/01/2010 04:19 PM, The Wolf wrote:
Someone showed me a way to check the jointer. Joint the first 12" of a
board, pull it back scribble pencil marks on it. Turn it around and run it
through the other way. It should remove the pencil marks on the second pass.

At any rate I am working on a jointer manufactured in 1944. It takes 2-3
passes to remove the pencil marks.

Given its age and the symptom you describe, I suspect that the tables
are not parallel to each other. One or the other is "drooping".

Usually the outfeed is the one adjusted since it normally doesn't move
once set. If it's on dovetailed ways make sure you have any gib screws
tightened up and see if that helps. You may need to shim it with metal
shim stock.

If it's some sort of parallelogram linkage, then they usually have some
form of eccentric cam adjustment.

Chris