Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default OT - Hyperinflation as a goal?

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

You could easily, for instance, whack $100 billion a year from
defense spending without reducing readiness or otherwise impeding
our global national security posture. That would, however, require
the American public to grow a pair and stop being afraid of their
own shadow. That isn't practical with all of the hype from every
possible direction so it will require that our politicians display a
little courage, possibly by falling on their own swords for the
greater good.

Even when DOD tries to cut spending, congress critters put it back in.

Consider the C-130.

http://lobby.la.psu.edu/_107th/092_C...ary_c_130.html

The C-17 is another example. That program had been shut down every year or
two since 1999.
Gates and Obama finally pulled the plug a few months ago.
The comment I originally made, and which you excluded, was entirely
appropriate.
The only reason these programs are continued is that they get votes.

Should the numbers continue to show the improvement reported today, you will
see the results at the polls in a few months Wes and it won't be pretty for
Republicans. The reverse is also equally true. An adverse change will be bad
for Democrats.
You might remember "It's the economy stupid!" from a past President and it
is as true now as it was then.

--
John R. Carroll