Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh[_2_] William R. Walsh[_2_] is offline

Default Why would an FM signal amplifier make some signals disappear?

Hi!

I suspect a phenomenon often referred to as "strong-signal
desensitization", a.k.a. "desense".

I wondered if something like this might be taking place. But I was not
at all sure.

Something curious happened last night. I went over and turned the
stereo receiver on. By complete chance, I ended up tuning the receiver
to one of the stations that had disappeared from the dial. Its
automatic seeking function stopped on the station.

To my complete surprise, the station was coming in perfectly. So too
were several other stations that I had previously noted to be gone.

I checked the amplifier, it was still plugged in and seemed to be
doing its thing. The HD radio tuner also picked up the stations.

I am unsure what changed...could it have been something in the
atmosphere or even space affecting this? Weather has been sunny and
warm, last night's sky had a full moon (maybe that's an idea! g) and
some cloud cover.

William