Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default OT - Hyperinflation as a goal?

On 3/31/2010 4:03 PM, Wes wrote:
"Stormin wrote:

At which point, our creditors would be left with worthless
promises. However, what are the odds that the US government
(or any employee thereof) would ever break a promise?

I don't see us ever defaulting. I could see us pulling our military forces back from the
116 nations or so we are helping to defend and telling them, hey, we got to pay our bills.
Better man up and be ready to defend yourself.

Default is that last thing we'll ever do. The negative effects from that
would be far too great to ever do. But as for our military forces
helping to "defend" 116 nations, that's not close to reality. First off,
I've heard the figure 140 nations we have forces or bases in. Whatever
the real number we're not there to defend those countries. If we are who
are we defending them from? In today's world most countries only need
minimal military forces to defend themselves because there is little or
no military threat against them. If every country has a tiny military
then they are no threat to their neighbors and vice versa.

I think we tend to be a super power because too many nations don't want to be a power and
we are suckers when it comes to defense.

You're a sucker if you think our military is about defense at all.
Projection of power and using military force is not defense. The U.S.
has virtually no enemies at this time. No other country is any military
threat to the U.S. so having a huge military is not for defending
ourselves from other nations. It's about the benefits obtained from
having overwhelming military power. It's about what we get from having
the biggest military not because we need it for our defense.

The war in Iraq and Afhganistan makes it pretty darn clear. I'll grant that Iraq wasn't
the 'good war' but Afhganistan was supposed to be. Look how pitfull the support is of our
allies. Too many countries send small detachments that are not even allowed to enter into
combat.

Unlike us, they don't have big military forces they paid big bucks for
sitting around waiting to go into combat. Unlike us, they want to avoid
wars, which benefit no one. A quick look is all it takes to see that
none of the wars the U.S. is in were necessary, but were undertaken by
someone's political choice. It seems that everyone but us has figured
out going to war is a stupid thing to do and should be avoided. The only
time it should be an option is when there is no other option. Clearly,
we don't follow that policy, and we have paid a ridiculously high price
and have gained nothing. Makes you wonder why we keep making this
mistake over and over when the rest of the world isn't.

I probably insulted a couple nations. UK, I wasn't talking about you.

Wes

I doubt they are offended, Wes. Most of them believe they have taken the
smart course and that we are idiots for our military adventures that
cost us a ton and gain us Jack. I tend to agree with them.

Hawke