Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Wilkinsons madness.

Jules Richardson
wibbled on Thursday 01 April 2010 14:05

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 11:01:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I can foresee shops becomein simply non stock holding showcases, with
the 'sales assistant' showing you, how to eneter the ionline order, or
doing it for you.

I don't mind that so much for big stuff where I expect a bit of a wait
anyway. It'd be a pain for smaller convenience items. Worse still if
shops vanish altogether, of course.

My wife doesn't clothes shop in shops anymore. She orders from one or
two online shops who are happy to accept returns of stuff even on the
grounds that she simply doesn't like it.

Fair enough. But I'd get frustrated if I waited for something to arrive
in the mail and then found out that what I didn't like about it was
something that I would have immediately known by looking at the physical
item (or being able to try it on) - that's a waste of both my time and
theirs.

cheers

Jules

The way to "play" it (though I think it's pretty normal practice, rather
than a cunning gaming ploy) is to get a few things you like the look of,
maybe in more than one size, on the basis that one will turn out OK and you
return the rest. My Mum liked this system. A trip to the Post Office after
browsing a 1.5" thick catalogue selection was less grief than going round
umpteen shops in the nearest big town (or putting up with the tiny selection
in the village), especially as she walked past the PO most days anyway.

--
Tim Watts