Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bonding to existing panel ground

On Mar 31, 6:47*pm, bud-- wrote:
wrote:
I'm helping out a friend with a new house who wants to add surge
protection. *The plan is to use a whole house AC surge protector at
the panel and a seperate cable coax surge protector located a few feet
away where the cable enters the house.

The question is, how to tie the seperate coax protector to the house
ground? *There are actually two 150 amp panels next to each other.
The service comes into a long narrow metal box between the two panels,
which in turn feeds the two 150 amp panels. * There is a heavy gauge
copper ground wire that runs from this narrow metal box into the
concrete basement slab. * So, what is the correct, code compliant
method to bond to this?

Can I buy some type of bolt on connector that I can slip over the
exposed existing ground wire outside the box and secure another ground
wire to it and then run over to the coax protector? *That would seem
to me to be the preferred method, if permissible.

Or can I bond to the ground inside one of the breaker panels and run a
ground wire from the panel out to the coax protector?

If I was doing it, I would just use a split bolt as others have
suggested. You want to minimize wire length to the common connection point.