Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Peter Andrews Peter Andrews is offline

Default Connecting Two Water Barrels (Butts)

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/03/10 19:50, shazzbat wrote:

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
o.uk...
The first water barrel (A) on my allotment is at the top of a slight
slope and is fed by rain water gathered from the roof of my shed. I
want to put in a second barrel (B) in a direct line (no bends involved)
from the first barrel and down a slight slope. Both are fitted with
taps, but I would always prefer to drain the water from the lower barrel
B as it is a little more accessible. How best to connect these?

I have options to run a connection pipe from the upper barrel (A) to
the lower barrel (B) as follows:

1. Connect from top of barrel A to top of barrel B
2. Connect from top of barrel A to bottom of barrel B
3. Connect from bottom of barrel A to top of barrel B
4. Connect from bottom of barrel A to bottom of barrel B

Which would be the best option?

It depends whether you can put in a tap/isolator of some kind between the
two, otherwise -

1 or 2 will fill both tanks, but B will not start to fill until A is
full.

3 or 4 will drain A into B and leave A empty.

Assuming the tanks can't be made level then the best way would be a
combination of either 1 or 2 and either 3 or 4, whichever is easiest, but
again a tap between the two will be needed. Then when it rains, A will
fill first, then the overflow will fill B. Then in a dry spell, you will
empty B, then open the tap to let water flow from A to B. If you only use
3 or 4, you will need to be there to close the tap when B is full in
order to fill A, and that may be difficult in times of little rainfall.

1 is better than 2 because you won't need to seal against leakage at B. 3
is better than 4 for the same reason.

Steve

Two things: Firstly, both tanks are already fitted with taps at the
bottom. Secondly, the difference in levels between the tops of the two
tanks is only about 1 foot, so I could easily raise the level of the lower
tank by standing on some breeze blocks so that they were about the same.

So all I need to do then would be to connect a length of hose between the
two taps and leave then in the open position during rainy times so that
both barrels fill ? Then, when I want to draw off some water, I would
close both taps, pull of the hose from the lower tank , place a water can
under it, and turn the lower top on to fill.

That should be OK , I think?

Ed

I've connected two butts (at a friends) at the same level by installing a
brass tank connector (15mm) halfway up both butts and connecting both
together with a length of hose. This way the first will fill the second
only when it's a least half full and, as the butts are 40ft apart, there
should always be some water at both ends of the garden as it is impossible
to completely drain both butts from one tap.

In my own garden I have four butts connected in series, down a slope,
connected with a hose and the lower ones fitted with ballcocks, the overflow
being on the first one by the house.

Peter