Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default drywall mud recipe

"rlz" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 10:20 am, Mikepier wrote:
On Mar 31, 12:16 pm, rlz wrote:

I recently put up drywall in my garage (two wall and ceiling). I
started to do the taping and mudding part and I have a question about
the consistency of the mud. The five gallon bucket of mud says to add
water to get the correct consistency. Being that this is my first
major drywall project, I'm not sure what consistency to look for.
Does anyone have a recommendation for the amount of water to add to a
five gallon bucket of mud? or how to gauge the correct consistency?

Robin

If your talking about the 5 gallon USG joint compounds, I never added
water. It was fine out of the bucket.
Perhaps they are saying that in case you had it for a while and it
dried up.

It's USG All Purpose Jint compound. The instructions say that for
covering fasteners, the mudd can be used directly out of the bucket.
For taping, thinning should be done by adding water. Thus my question
on how much to add.

Robin

IMO, all purpose is fine as shipped for nail heads, bedding and taping
including the skin coat over the tape.

Additional coats require a small amount of water.

It is something you have to learn. But to get you started, if is has the
consistency of brownie mix that is about right for the second coat.

Thick pancake batter, or soft butter is better for the later coats.

--
Colbyt