Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default drywall mud recipe

"Master Betty" wrote in message

"rlz" wrote in message
I recently put up drywall in my garage (two wall and ceiling). I
started to do the taping and mudding part and I have a question about
the consistency of the mud. The five gallon bucket of mud says to add
water to get the correct consistency. Being that this is my first
major drywall project, I'm not sure what consistency to look for.
Does anyone have a recommendation for the amount of water to add to a
five gallon bucket of mud? or how to gauge the correct consistency?

Robin

I just used the same product. I took as much compound out as I needed. The
directions say to add small amounts of water. I took out about 1 or 2
pints of compound and added about 2 - 3 tablespoons of water. Mix
vigorously. The water helps with the final coat of plaster. I didn't need
to sand at all and the wall came out beautiful. I used a 14" plaster knife
for the final coat. Don't add too much water. You'd probably be better off
with no water than too much. Of course if the compound has been sitting
around along time you'll need more water. The more water you add the
longer it takes to dry.

You just want the plaster to apply smoooothly and SMALL amts of water goes
along way. Since you're not familiar with the product work with small
amounts.

Not to nit pick but plaster and joint compound are 2 VERY different
things..There is no such thing as a plaster knife..It is a 14 inch taping
knife..Just wanted the OP to know what to ask for if he went looking for one
or he would be laughed at...For plaster you use flat 12 inch trowls and
haulks...HTH...