Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Pongs in electronics

Adrian Tuddenham wrote in message
nvalid.invalid...
N_Cook wrote:

[...]
And in the case of rotted horse manure smell from some types of old
transformer windings perhaps Caproic Acid or Hexanoic acid giving that

smell

Some pre war Philips radio sets had rubber-covered wiring that stank
like rotted manure when you touched it with a soldering iron. I have no
idea what they used in it that was different from other makes.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

So a different smell to overheating usual rubber smell?

I don't remember smelling that elecrolyte fishy smell for any 70s or earlier
caps. Someone must have decided in the 80s there was a useful way of getting
rid of abattoir or fish processors fatty waste as a bulking agent and
dielectric breakdown properties or something in caps. Similar reason for use
in some magnet wire lacquer it would seem