Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Ping Swingman - Glue up question

On 03/30/2010 07:47 PM, Upscale wrote:

I'm fully familiar with gluing up planks for width such as table tops,
but I was wondering about gluing up planks for thickness. I'm sure
they still exist, but it's been a long time since I've seen hardwood
planks 1-1/2" thickness for sale.

Go to an actual lumberyard or hardwoods dealer and ask for 6/4 ("six
quarter") stock. If you need it to end up at 1 1/2" finished thickness,
ask for 8/4.

Considering the cost of thicker hardwood, I'm wondering about gluing
up 3/4" planks to increase thickness. Have you any experience with
that? If so, how invisible do the edge glue lines turn out?

Same as any panel glue-up. Depends which glue you use and how good your
grain and colour matching is.

Chris