Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Ping Swingman - Glue up question

"Upscale" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:41:56 -0500, Swingman wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/QSWO%20Ends2.jpg
There has been no measurable/discernible movement in about 7 or so years.

What I'm more concerned with is how visible are the glue lines? Sure,
it makes sense to match grain with grain, but if hypothetically I
glued up 3 x 3/4" planks and if needed, ran the edge through a
jointer, is the resulting 2-1/4" edge likely to look like one solid
piece? And if that piece was stained, would it continue to look like
one solid piece or would the possibility of stain soaking in amplify
those glue lines?

You are going to have to experiment and see if it is acceptable to you. I
have pieces that are glued up to make thicker stock. On one end it looks
like a solid piece of wood. Going down to the the other end the grain on
one board changes and brings out the differences of the two boards.

Still I think the difference is a non issue most of the time. I really do
not mind if you can tell if there were two or more boards used to make up
the needed thickness.

And you can always trim the edge of the glued up panels with a solid one
piece board to cover the joint line.