Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Swingman - Glue up question

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:47:42 -0500, Upscale
wrote:

I'm fully familiar with gluing up planks for width such as table tops,
but I was wondering about gluing up planks for thickness. I'm sure
they still exist, but it's been a long time since I've seen hardwood
planks 1-1/2" thickness for sale.

Considering the cost of thicker hardwood, I'm wondering about gluing
up 3/4" planks to increase thickness. Have you any experience with
that? If so, how invisible do the edge glue lines turn out?

I know I can add a layer or more of plywood and use some veneer edging
to give the same appearance, but I'm considering something that's all
hardwood.

Thanks.

Sounds unusual that you want a 1.5" thick table top--will make a top
look (and be) heavy? Make it look thicker by adding a hardwood lip
around the edge.