Posted to rec.woodworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Ping Swingman - Glue up question

"Upscale" wrote in message

I'm fully familiar with gluing up planks for width such as table tops,
but I was wondering about gluing up planks for thickness. I'm sure
they still exist, but it's been a long time since I've seen hardwood
planks 1-1/2" thickness for sale.

Considering the cost of thicker hardwood, I'm wondering about gluing
up 3/4" planks to increase thickness. Have you any experience with
that? If so, how invisible do the edge glue lines turn out?

I know I can add a layer or more of plywood and use some veneer edging
to give the same appearance, but I'm considering something that's all
hardwood.

Thanks.

I was told a long time ago to glue up wide flatsawn planks with the same
sides in the middle. ie heart-to-heart or bark-to-bark. This supposedly
matches the expansions and, more importantly, the cupping cancels each
other and the planks stay flatter over time and humidity changes. I've
always followed this and have had excellent results and no long term
problems. YMMV.
Art