Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Heat recovery ventilators

In message
, NT
writes

Yes. The flat has two bedrooms, bathroom, toilet, lounge and kitchen all
arranged around a central access corridor. I doubt the practicality of
fitting a cheap dehumidifier in the bathroom although air could be
extracted through existing ducts to something fitted off the corridor.
All the waste pipes are on exterior walls.

Using flexible 1/4" tube for a dehumidifier makes it relatively easy
to plumb.

Hmm... Solid floors and across the corridor. Might be able to pick up
the washing m/c waste from behind the kitchen units. My only experience
of de-humidifiers is the floor standing, wheel about variety. Is
something available which would not object to an intake fed from a 4"
duct? Discharge could be into the airing cupboard.

I think we should pursue the cavity insulation aspect despite British
Gas. I believe the building is based on a concrete frame so the cavities
might be stopped at each floor.

CWI makes a lot of sense. Grants arent necessary to make it pay. Brush
strips can be used to retain insulation for shared walls. Adhesive on
the insulation can prevent it going anywhere after installation.

Brush strips?

yup, theyre poked into position to stop the insulation passing.

These would need to be horizontal, mostly. I intend to follow up on the
actual structure as the cavities may already be closed at each floor.

Also, if the cavity is open, the junction is horizontal rather than
vertical.

CWI won't reduce the water load in the air though, either you prevent/
remove it somehow or condensation is inevitable. The usual simple
guidelines like using lids on pans are too often impossible to
implement with tenants, but you can dehumidify. A contract clause can
state that if disabling climate control equipment causes mould, rot
etc they're liable for the damage.

So far it has been superficial mould requiring laborious cleaning.

thats good news, if you put a dehumidifier in the right place it
should clear it up.

Up to 85% recovery is claimed for extractor units or is this overly
optimistic? I think the bathroom is the obvious start point. Material
cost around 200ukp so payback within one months rent.

'upto.' Dehumidifiers give 100% heat recovery all the time. And no
installation cost.

Still got to couple up ducting and bore through internal walls but,
yes:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb