Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default suction cup problems on tile walls

On Mar 30, 10:18*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Mar 30, 8:15 pm, aemeijers wrote:
rb wrote:
I've got some suction cup holder to stick on tile walls in our shower.. For
some reason, they're not sticking.
Anyone know of some kind of clear glue I might get and use which won't hurt
the tile???
Soap holder or grab bar? If the latter, NOT a good idea. As you have
already noted, they can't be trusted.

Smooth tile or pebble finish? Nothing sticks to those. For smooth
finish, surface must be ultra- clean, and suction cup must be flexible,
and moist. Rubbing a little vaseline into the cup sometimes helps, if it
is porous material. Silicone caulk will hold it, but is a major pain to
razor off when you want to take it down.

Silicone doesn't stick to rubber/plastic.

Sticks to styrene fine if you abrade the surface first. I had to pull
like hell to get those soap dispensers off the wall, tile and fiberglass
showers. If that clear rubbery stuff that looked and smelled like
silicone wasn't silicone, I haven't a clue what it was.

--
aem sends...

That's some nose you've got there. I've been using it professionally
for over 30 yrs and I've never been able to smell dried silicone.