Posted to rec.woodworking
LDosser LDosser is offline

Default Bench-top drill press

"notbob" wrote in message
On 2010-03-30, Lee Michaels wrote:

You might look around for a used one. I'm lucky enough to have one I
bought about 20 years ago and I swear all the manufacturer (Taiwan) did
was saw off the post and put a smaller foot on it :-).

Very good points and one's I should have thought about before rashly
posting my question. I was looking for a fast fix and didn't think it
through. Having been a machinist at one time, I'm quite familiar with
drill speeds and am probably jumping the gun. I will be drilling
small holes for electronics work and making homebrew antennas.
Perhaps a drill stand for drill motors is more appropriate. Even
drill jigs that fit directly on the drill motor may suffice. I've
used them successfully before where nothing else would do. Probably
more important is getting a good hi-speed 1/4" drill motor for small
drill bits.

Killed me to hafta sell my 3/4" tapered chuck floor press with 2 hp
motor when I moved, but such is life!

Thanks for the reality check, Lee.

nb

For your application, you might want to take a look at this:

http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-3-...RESS,7797.html

The Proxxon line of small power tools is also quite good.