Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
mick[_2_] mick[_2_] is offline

Default PIC16F877A-I/P question

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 06:39:36 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

mick wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:28:56 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

mick wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:04:14 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

snip
Why? I know too little to do any real programming of that beastie
-
the only way i am getting what i want is by learning ladder logic
and using LDmicro.exe .

Interesting program. It seems to work well in wine under linux. I've
used ladder logic on elderly Siemens PLCs and this is fairly similar.

If you've done any programming in BASIC can I recommend the Great Cow
BASIC compiler? It works very well and is free (the full version, not
a crippled demo). It also has very good support for on-chip
peripherals. http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/

I have the "most recent" BASIC compiler that M$ made just before
Visual Basic..called Professional Development System; works just like
the slightly older QuickBasic with some extensions and it compiles and
one can hook code from other compilers as well.
What does Great Cow do that is interesting / different?

It compiles into PIC or AVR code, ready for burning onto the chip.
GCBASIC is just the compiler, you need a separate editor but
instructions are included for setting up the excellent Crimson editor
to allow compilation with a single key. When used with the Microchip
PicKit programmer then a couple of clicks burns it onto the chip.

Obviously, you have limitations compared to QuickBasic & co, but it is
quick to use and the resulting code seems to be pretty good. Have a
look through the on-line help file:
http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/help/

If you use the Microchip MPLAB development software the gcbasic code
can be read into that and run with full simulation, breakpoints etc.
Could be handy on larger projects, but I've never bothered.

Now _that_ is interesting..but then i would have to learn all of the
ins and outs of the PIC i am using (and next the ins and outs of the PIC
i should use next).

Lucky that gcbasic supports so many chips then. Should keep you busy and
out of mischief for quite a while!

You could always learn a bit of assembler of course...

Luckily the PICs tend to be fairly similar. Learning one will give a very
good grounding for any/all of the others.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info