Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] greenpjs@neo.rr.com is offline

Default Diswasher noise level - 53 db versus 50 db - any real difference??

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 06:49:18 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Mar 30, 12:23*am, Joe wrote:
On Mar 29, 10:14*pm, "TNSTAAFL" wrote:

We're looking at two Bosch dishwashers - one claims a noise level of 50 db,
and the other a noise level of 53 db - the features and functionality are
pretty much the same - there's about a $100 price difference.

Bosch has other, more expensive dishwashers in the mid-40 db range - they
are beyond my price point, but with a noise level that goes that low, maybe
the difference from 53 db to 50 db will be enough to justify the extra $100.

Is there an perceptable noise difference that I'll notice when the 50 db
machine is running versus the 53db machine?

Thanks!

Yes. Depends on how sensitive your ears are. Sound measurements are
not a linear function. Read up on the topic in any standard physics
textbook. If you were a music major, buy the pricier machine.
Otherwise, you may be annoyed or not, so why not get the most cost
effective machine and just close the kitchen door when it's running?

Not everyone has a kitchen door. I can almost turn around and see
the dishwasher from where I sit on the sofa in the living room.
The builder of my little 1948 ranch gave me a pretty open plan for the
time period. My next dishwasher will be the quietest one I can find.

Cindy Hamilton

We had a Bosch installed about 5 years ago. They said it was going to
be quiet, but I had no idea just how quiet. We can eat dinner a few
feet away from it and not know it's running until it empties water
into the drain under the sink. We were eating dinner one night and I
heard a gurgling sound in the sink and asked my wife, "What's that?"
She replied that she was running the diskwasher. Noises normally
drive me crazy, so this thing is amazing. I don't know what the noise
spec was. It's model number is SHX46A05UC/14 if anyone can look it
up.