Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia[_7_] Jeff Wisnia[_7_] is offline

Default Ice maker water line

desgnr wrote:
I put a new water valve in the refrigerator,Now when i put back the
copper supply it has a small leak at the fitting.
I cut the fitting off & installed a new compression ferrule & it still
leaks no matter how tight i make it.
Does it need teflon tape on the threads,it didn't have any before i
changed the valve.
How can i fix the leak ?

On more than one occasion I've "saved" an dripping overtightened ferrule
fitting by putting a couple of wraps of teflon tape around the ferrule
lapping it onto the far end of the copper tubing by about 1/8".

The teflon compresses to form a "gasket" which seals the leak.

Scoff if you will, but I've always said that the essence of pragmatism
can be stated as, "If it woiks, use it." G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)