Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Why would an FM signal amplifier make some signals disappear?

Hello all...

So I was putting up an FM antenna recently and got the idea that using a
signal amplifier might be a good idea, as the output would go to two tuners,
one of which is somewhat "deaf" in terms of sensitivity.

The amplifier in question is a Radio Shack 15-321. It's a two-in-one unit,
with two pieces. One goes on the antenna and has an adjustable amplification
level that is set via a potentiometer on the indoor unit. The other is
internal to the indoor unit and offers a fixed boost that can be turned on
or off. Power is supplied to both through the indoor unit.

What I've noticed is that some stations just disappeared from the dial after
installing the signal amp. This is not a big deal, the amp works well
otherwise and I'm not missing the stations that don't come in. The user's
guide points this out as being a possible problem, and it says that the only
solution is to completely remove the amplifier. What it doesn't say is "why"
and that is what I would like to know. By the way, missing stations are not
confined to any one area of the FM band.

William