Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Bench-top drill press

On Mar 30, 7:32*am, notbob wrote:
Any recommendations for a solid reliable brand/model. *Don't even
mention Craftsman! *

The two things that bug me most about my benchtop press
are
(1) small spindle travel (about 2"); I've gotta reposition the work
when a deep hole is needed.

(2) lack of quill lock; if I need to measure the drill position, it's
convenient to chuck up a dowel pin and pull out the calipers. Not
so convenient if I can't park the dowel where I want to measure.

The benchtop models I didn't like, had nonreplaceable motors and/or
geared drives. It's awfully convenient to be able to loosen a belt
when you WANT the drill to slip before it grabs.

Worklight and airnozzle addons are on my to-do list. Last time I
had a bunch of holes (holesaw in wood) to do, I loaded boards
with my left hand, operated the press with my right, and huffed
and puffed with a sodastraw in my mouth to clear the waste.
It gets ... dizzying ... after a while.