Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Oval picture frame

On 3/30/2010 5:01 PM, Nonny wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 3/30/2010 4:07 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

As for technology in the class room while there are negatives, there are
all so some strong positives. If I have a computer in physical chemistry
I may have a better understanding of how the various equation performed.

I had a computer ... "me", with a slide rule.

They're becoming forgotten. Slide rules put man on the moon. Back in HS
and college, the classes like Physics and Chem had a half bushel basket
by the door with school slide rules for the kids without their own.

Same mathematical functions as a computer, but these days the computer
is _much_ faster.

That wasn't always the case, even with electronic digital computers.

When I was in the Army we routinely beat "Freddie" FADAC (Field
Artillery Digital Automatic Computer) with our slide rules in the Fire
Direction Centers ... in combat we seldom used "Freddie" to actually
fire missions, just to check our slide rule results, if we didn't have
to wait on it.

It wasn't a matter of arithmetic trust, FADAC was just too damn slow.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08